Thursday, November 11, 2010

Compassion

A comment was posted on my Rescued Snail post and it included a quotation which really resonated with me so I thought I'd share it on a post of its own.  The quotation is as follows:
Kind heart, gentle heart: Rescue the drowning insect; carry the snail on the pavement to safety; return the helpless worm, writhing on concrete, to the sanctuary of Mother Earth.

Render help and kindness, wherever it is needed, to all life, great or small. Suffering has no boundaries, neither should compassion
.

My reader had found the quote on Holy Lance where there was sadly no attribution, so if anyone knows the source, I would sure love to find that out.  And the site, Holy Lance, is an excellent site, which unfortunately has not been updated since August 2009.  In any case, as Fall arrives and with it lots of rain, I will be rescuing more insects and worms as well as the occasional snail.  Does anyone know why worms decide that concrete is a good place to be in the rain?  I have always wondered about that, especially as I now carefully move them from my concrete garage floor to my flower bed.  In any case, rendering help and kindness whenever and wherever I can in small ways enriches my life beyond measure, and just the simple act of saving that snail yesterday (and today it was a spider) warms my heart as well as being good, I hope, for the snail.

No comments:

Post a Comment